What To Do If You Are Injured At Work
December 3, 2018 designer

What To Do If You Are Injured At Work

Posted in Workers Compensation

If you are injured at work, taking care of your health and wellness is a priority. Work Injuries should be addressed by a medical professional immediately. It is also important to immediately notify your supervisor. You will have to complete Workers’s Compensation paperwork to have your medical treatments covered by your employer’s insurance. If you are injured on the job, you must follow these simple steps:

OBTAIN first aid or medical treatment as soon as possible. 

If your employer has been authorized to participate in a Preferred Provider Organization(PPO) or Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) program, you may be required to obtain medical treatment from a participating health care provider. Participating employers are required to notify their employees, in writing, of all information pertaining to a PPO or ADR program.

Also, if you are in need of diagnostic tests or prescription medicine, your employer or your workers’ compensation insurance carrier may require you to obtain your tests or your medicine from a diagnostic network or designated pharmacies or a network of pharmacies they have contracted with. It is required that you receive written notice if you are required to utilize a diagnostic network or designated pharmacies or a network of pharmacies.

When you are injured at work, the cost of necessary medical services is paid by your employer or your employer’s insurance carrier, if the case is not disputed. Health care providers may request that injured workers sign form A-9. This form is meant to provide notice to the injured worker that he or she may be responsible to pay the medical bills if the Workers’ Compensation Board disallows the claim or the injured worker does not pursue the claim.

NOTIFY your supervisor about the injury and the way in which it occurred, as soon as possible.

An injured employee who fails to inform his or her employer, in writing, within 30 days after the date of the accident causing the injury, may lose the right to workers’ compensation benefits. In the case of occupational disease, notification should be given within two years after disablement, or within two years after the claimant knew or should have known that the disease was work-related, whichever is later).

COMPLETE a claim for workers’ compensation on Form C-3 and mail it to the nearest office of the Workers’ Compensation Board, if there is lost-time.

If a claim is not filed within two years from the date of the injury or disablement from an occupational disease, (or after disablement and after you knew, or should have known that the disease was work-related), you may lose your right to benefits.

Future Steps:

  • Follow doctor’s instructions to speed full recovery.
  • Attend an Independent Medical Examination if you are required to do so.
  • Go back to work as soon as you are able.
  • Attend such hearings as may be held in the case, when you are notified to appear.

If you were injured at work and are ready to schedule your  doctor’s appointment: Find a location nearest you and call us to schedule a free ride with one of our trusted drivers.

Originally posted on New York State Website


Comments (0)

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *